I believe that starting a business is like diving headfirst into the deep end of the pool before you’ve actually learned how to swim.
You started in order to do one thing (your service), and then learned you had to figure out how to do a bunch of other stuff (like bookkeeping, marketing, networking, social media, emailing leads, blogging on your website—I’m getting tired just thinking about it all) just to have the chance to do that thing (your service).
It’s easy to start to lose confidence in yourself as you realize how much you don’t know and technically *should* be doing.
Let’s silence the noise and focus on what matters…
YOU. YOUR PURPOSE. YOUR SERVICE.
Now that we’ve got that cleared up lets tackle the next big one; finding clients to make some money.
Take 30 seconds to think about what you can do to network and connect with people who could benefit from what you do. Right now. No. Really. Right now.
Ok. Now answer:
WHAT’S HOLDING YOU BACK?
If your answer is anything like:
- I’m afraid I won’t be good enough.
- I’m certain that people will realize I’m a fraud.
- I’m embarrassed to put myself ‘out-there.’
- It’s pointless until I have a website.
- I don’t even know who really needs what I want to do.
- I don’t have a clue where to start.
…then you’re in the right place
A Brand Can’t Solve All Your Problems, But It Can Help Solve The Biggest One: FEAR.
Fear takes many forms. It’s sneaky. You may not realize that fear is what’s really holding you back, but what if I told you that all of those answers from above were fear-based? What would you do? How would you show up for your business?
You see. Branding solves these fear-related problems by giving you an anchor in the form of clarity.
Clarity around what makes you uniquely qualified to help a certain type of person better than anyone else in your industry. (Imposter syndrome, handled).
Clarity around who you are talking to and how you can relate to them in order to form a connection.
Clarity around the difference you truly care about making so that you don’t get lost in a sea of shoulda, coulda, would as because your purpose is like your North star.
Then, branding goes a step further and gives you a ‘look’ that you are proud to share.
No more excuses to avoid taking those actions to gain more clients.
By going through a complete brand experience that includes strategy AND design you are given the tools to help you overcome your fear and actually take inspired action in your business to connect with people and land more ideal clients.
The truth is that you can take client-attracting actions at anytime. With or without a brand. But, let’s look at the facts:
- Fear is a sneaky butthole. Without changing your thoughts away from a fear mindset you’ll most likely find ways to continue self-sabotaging yourself.
- Brand strategy is all about clarifying your message. We do this through distilling your purpose and positioning to identify who you can best help. This clarity can give you the confidence to stand up for your differences, your services, your processes and not cave to client demands or making yourself more and more like your competitors.
- Brand Identity Design (logo, fonts, colors and imagery) establishes rules for how to achieve a consistent vibe and look.
- A Branded Website gives you an anchor for reminding yourself of your unique place, the pride to want to share it, and a way to convert your interested audience (discovered either online or off) into paying clients by creating a clear message that they can identify with and providing easy next steps in building a relationship with you.
So, at the end of the day. Ask yourself (and be honest) will you take the actions you need to in order to attract more ideal clients without a clear and attractive brand or will you find ways to make excuses and stay hidden?